Monday, February 27, 2012

Le[n]t It Be

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom, le[n]t it be


And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me

Speaking words of wisdom, le[n]t it be


Le[n]t it be, le[n]t it be, le[n]t it be, le[n]t it be

Whisper words of wisdom, le[n]t it be



Last week signified the beginning of  Lent , the 40 day window before Resurrection Sunday which Christians often observe by fasting or giving up an item of luxury. Although in years past I have either ignored Lent or treated it as a social challenge rather than a spiritual discipline, this year is different. 


At SF Lighthouse, we are corporately journeying through the seven sayings of Jesus on the cross, through the Sunday gatherings and the daily blog devotionals. Yesterday was also freedom Sunday, where we talked about our Slavery Footprint (I own 34 slaves) and gave a portion of tithes to Because Justice Matters.


I agree with one of my favorite authors here when he says "In a world of instant gratification, [Lent] is a chance to practice delayed gratification - to fast - so that we can truly appreciate the blessings we have."

Personally, I have decided to give up all meat (except for fish). This sadly means I won't be eating from that delicious magical animal that produces bacon, sausage, and pork chops. 


I feel this Lenten season will be an important time for me, both spiritually and practically. I expect it to be a time of repentance, of appreciating blessings, and of refocusing for the very big future questions that loom ahead.

Take it away Paul...

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree
There will be an answer, le[n]t it be


For though they may be parted, there is still a chance that they will see

There will be an answer, le[n]t it be


Le[n]t it be, le[n]t it be, le[n]t it be, le[n]t it be

There will be an answer, le[n]t it be

No comments:

Post a Comment